Thursday, October 21, 2010

Timeless Wisdom

When I think of fourth grade, I think of learning about New Jersey's counties, beginning to play the cello, pitching for the Panthers in Little League, and perhaps most unbelievably, the Buffalo Bills winning games.  Beyond that, my memories of that time are somewhat nebulous.  There is however one recollection that stands out in my mind with incredible vividness.

After lunch and recess, Mr. Powell would read Roald Dahl books out loud to the class.  One day, before he began to read a chapter from Boy, he shared an adage that has stuck with me forever since.  He asked us how many of us thought we were mature.  Nearly immediately, twenty or so ten year old hands shot enthusiastically into the air.  He then asked us what maturity was.  No one had an answer.  After pausing for a moment, he looked at us and said, "Maturity is washing your hands after using the bathroom even if no one is around to know."

I bring this up because I witnessed someone at work (from a different office) today walk out of a stall (not the middle one) and right out the door without even faking a hand washing.  The world needs more maturity.

-MSG

1 comment:

  1. I work at a University - and am always stunned at how many girls don't wash or only fake wash. And even more stunned at how many people don't flush or wipe off the seat when they spray.

    It's foul.

    ReplyDelete