Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"Solar Moon"

Coinciding with the 2010 winter solstice was an event that is supposedly extremely rare.  The Earth slipped between the Sun and the Moon, casting a shadow over the moon and causing it to appear to have disappeared (if that phrase makes any sense).  Apparently, there was a lot of hoopla about this event, as the last time a lunar eclipse occurred on the winter solstice was 372 years ago.  That's right...Brett Favre was in his rookie season the last time it happened.

The thing I don't understand though is why this event was hyped the way it was.  The way I see it, it's not really anything out of the ordinary for me to not see the moon at 2:00am.  In fact, I would argue that it's far more rare for me to see the moon at that time than not to.  Call me crazy, but I don't think I'm alone with that.

-MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment