Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Touching Moment

Monday, I was at the mall walking around to tie some Christmas shopping loose ends, and I saw something extremely moving occur right in front of me.  After purchasing a "Doggy Happy Meal," I moved on to the next store.  En route to my next destination, I was walking behind a young man in military fatigues and boots.

Coming in the opposite direction was an older gentleman in a blue jacket and a baseball cap.  As he got closer, I saw that the older man's hat had a VFW patch sewn onto it.  He looked up, and on a dime, changed his course in my direction.  A moment later, he stretched his arm toward the younger soldier and said, "Thank you, sir."  The young man shook the elder vet's hand and thanked him for all that he had done as well.

The moment was almost surreal for me...I can't seem to find the right words to describe my feelings at the time.  It was just one of the most awe-inspiring experiences I've ever had, standing there witnessing two defenders of freedom from very different generations connecting with one another as though they'd known each other forever.  They didn't have to utter a word, and yet they understood and genuinely respected one another.


-A humbled and proud MSG


No comments:

Post a Comment