Friday, March 11, 2011

Brewster's Paradox

Besides being an example of a good that I'd associate with the ever elusive "increasing marginal utility," beer presents another interesting paradox.  Perhaps I will return in another post to discuss the increasing marginal utility facet of beer another day, but for now, it is outside the scope of my laser focus.  Today, I would like to shed light on.  I would also like to apologize for ending the prior sentence with a preposition, but that's neither here nor there.

The paradox arises from the fact that alcohol tends to lower inhibitions, yet at the same time, it decreases your ability to act on said reduced inhibitions.  I'm of course referring to "beer goggles" and the fact that they make ugly people hot (or at least perceptibly less ugly).  I'll leave the rest of the inference to the reader.

Upon second thought, this "paradox" may be a blessing in disguise!  This post has been absurd, and frankly, it's rubbish, so I'm going to stop now.


-FSG

No comments:

Post a Comment