Saturday, January 15, 2011

Divisional Round Prognostications

Well, this weekend figures to give us two very good games on Saturday, but I'm on dud alert for Sunday's affairs.  Saturday's first game, Ravens at Steelers figures to be a smash mouth game that's close and hard fought from start to finish.  Both teams know each other, and they know what to expect.  Generally, they just line up, beat the hell out of each other for sixty minutes, and the team left standing wins.  Add in some cold weather, and you've got a football fan's dream.  My prediction for that game is Baltimore 16, Pittsburgh 13.

The second game features the Packers and the Falcons.  I can't figure out whether we're going to see a defensive battle or a high scoring affair.  Both teams are strong in each facet, and I could see it going both ways.  I like Green Bay because of their experience, but Atlanta is very difficult to beat at home (and on the road for that matter).  That said, Green Bay seems to be peaking at the right time.  I'm going to take Green Bay 24, Atlanta 20.

Sunday kicks off (pun intended) with Seattle visiting Chicago.  My brain is saying this should be pretty lopsided, but there's a small (very small) part of me advising me to not count Seattle out after last weekend's upset.  In the end, I think Chicago has the special teams to match Seattle's, and it has a better offense and defense.  I'm going with Chicago 27, Seattle 10.

The weekend ends with the Jets facing New England.  I expect Brady to pick on Cromartie early and often after his comments this week.  I think the Jets have the individual talent to match up, but for whatever reason, they never seem to play up to the level of the sum of their talents.  I can't see them beating the Pats on the road, although I don't think it will be quite the stomping of a month or so ago when they went up to visit the Massholes.  Patriots 34, Jets 20 (and I do not like to type that).


-FSG

No comments:

Post a Comment