Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Moment for History

On January 4, 2007, Nancy Pelosi became the first female Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.  Today, I'd like to extend my congratulations to her for becoming the first female ex-Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.


It looks like she's trying to fly away before getting beaten with the gavel.  Ironically, this occurred just around the time she decided to stress the need for a commitment to bipartisanship.  I can't help but find it interesting that one of the most polarizing figures in recent memory, one whose actions didn't show any concern for bipartisanship (unless it didn't get in the way of getting what she wanted done *and expediently at that*), now decides to stress bipartisanship when she's out of the majority.  I'm not saying that what she said is wrong...to the contrary, I actually agree.  I'm just pointing out how absurd this claim is given her prior actions.

An interesting read is this summary of new House Rules proposals.  However, forgive me if I remain skeptical that the results will be anything near what is stated.  Maybe I'm too cynical, but I've heard the gist of all this before.  I believe it was the ex-Speaker (can't say I mind calling her that) who said that she would preside over the most open and ethical Congress ever.  If it was anywhere near that, shame on all previous Congresses.


-FSG

No comments:

Post a Comment